In Years 7, 8 students follow a rotation system of study in Design & Technology. They will spend approximately 18 lessons on each project and during these lessons they cover knowledge of materials, processes, tools and equipment specific to that material area and they also develop research, design and evaluative skills.
Programme of Study
All students in Year 7 - experience a design and make project in Food, Textiles and three Product Design projects (including wood/metal/plastic/Electronics/computer aided design and manufacture).
All students in Year 8 - experience a design and make project in Food,Textiles and three Product Design projects (including wood/metal/plastic/Electronics/computer aided design and manufacture).
GCSE - Students have the chance to opt for a GCSE subject in Technology. They can choose from Food, Product Design and Textiles.
Assessment in Year 7 - 8 is completed by teacher assessment of folder work and practical outcomes. Each student achieves a KS3 level ranging from 3 - 8. The level descriptors are shared with the students and displayed on the teaching room walls and in their folders for reference. Students are set targets after each project rotation to inform them how to improve their progress. Students will have their end of project levels and progress made, sent home.
In the Technology Department we are aware that students enjoy the element of problem solving, being creative in the development of their individual projects and the practical aspect of making what they have designed. In addition to their classroom experience of technology we run events and competitions during the year. These include:
- Rotary Young Chef of the Year for Year 10 Food
- Textiles Fashion Show
- Rotary Design Competition for Years 11, 12 and 13
- Technology Club for Years 7 - 9
- A level trip to inspired by design in London
- Year 9 trip to design museum
- Facilities of the Department
We are very fortunate in technology to have a wide range of facilities housed in a purpose built block of teaching rooms and workshops.
- Interactive whiteboards and projectors
- 3 x ICT suites
- 3D printer
- Laser cutter
- CNC Microrouter
- CNC Milling machine
- Vinyl cutter sticker machine
- Laser imaging transfer system
- 3 x Computerised sewing machines
- Industrial Blast Chilling Facility
- Range of power tools for use in workshops.
- 2D Cad program Techsoft 2D
- 3D Cad Program SpaceClaim
- Nutrition Program Online
- Specialist Computer Software - circuit wizard
- Specialist PCB manufacturing including rota wash facilities